I’m here to share some of my Must-Have Resources for Reading and Writing Workshop.
A great classroom library that is organized for your students, easy for them to use, and contains a whole plethora of books is so important. Students need to feel like they have access to many different types of books. They need to be exposed to informational texts, literature, graphic novels, magazines, etc. I organize my library with book baskets and organize the book baskets by genre, series, authors, Newbery Award Winners, and more.
- Are introduced to the standard through “I Can Statements”
- Rate their understanding of a standard
- Take a pre-assessment to determine their knowledge of a standard
- Graph the results of their pre-assessments
- Continue to rate their understanding of the standard throughout the unit
- Take a post-assessment to determine their knowledge of the standard
- Graph the results of their post-assessments
I have written numerous blog posts about the benefits of having students track their own data. With Student Data Tracking, my students test scores have raised significantly and their intrinsic motivation and self-efficacy have gone through the roof. They are an extremely important part of our Reading and Writing Workshop time.